Siegfried Schmid famed as Sigi Schmid is a German-American soccer coach who is most recognized for his work and contribution to Seattle Sounders and Los Angeles Galaxy soccer clubs. He also coached his former college team, the UCLA Bruins, between 1980 and 1999. He has been the most coaching wins in MLS history and was the recipient of the MLS Coach of the Year Award in 1999 and 2008. From 2009 to 2016, Schmid led the Sounders to seven playoff appearances, four Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup titles, and an MLS Supporters’ Shield in 2014. He is a very talented coach.
Death of Sig
Sigi left this world on 25th December 2018 at the age of 65. His family said he died Tuesday at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Sigi Schmid was hospitalized three weeks ago as he awaited a heart transplant. Schmid was hospitalized several times during his later career, including a bout of pneumonia in 2009.
Gossips and Rumors
Former LA Galaxy coach Sigi Schmid dies at 65. Former Los Angeles Galaxy coach Sigi Schmid, the winningest coach in MLS history who was hospitalized at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center three weeks ago in need of a heart transplant, died Tuesday at the age of 65. In 2009, Schmid was hospitalized with pneumonia during his first season with the Seattle Sounders, then missed a match for undisclosed reasons in 2015. He left Seattle in 2016 to return for his second stint with the Galaxy, who provided his first MLS coaching start from 1999-2004. He also coached the Columbus Crew from 2006-08. Schmid’s death was confirmed by members of his family in a statement issued Wednesday through the Sounders, one of three MLS teams Schmid coached over 18 seasons.
Early Life of Sigi
Sigi Schmid was born on 20th March 1953 in Tubingen, West Germany. His full name is Siegfried Schmid. His birth sign is Pisces. He was born to Fritz Schmid and Doris Schmid, his parents. When he was only four, he moved to the United States along with his parents. Although he spent most of his life in America he uses to speak German at his home. His nationality is West German. Currently, he is residing in Tubingen. There is no information regarding his siblings.
Regarding his education, he completed his school and high school in the United States with lots of ups and downs in his education as he was not so good at English. Later, he graduated with a Bachelor of Economics and a Master of Business Administration. After graduation, he also worked as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) for around eight to nine-month.
Body Features of Sigi
Sigi has a got an athletic body build. He is a very active person. His body measurement regarding his height, weight, and more have not been revealed yet and will be updated soon. His hair color is Grey and his eye color is Brown. He still looks very young at the age of 65. With his charming face, he attracts a lot of people towards him.
Career of Sigi
- Sigi began playing soccer professionally in the year 1972 after he joined UCLA.
- He was starting midfielder for the UCLA Bruins until 1975.
- His first coaching experience was in 1975 for Bishop Montgomery High School.
- Later on, he founded South Bay Vikings club. From 1977-1979, he worked as an assistant coach at UCLA under Steve Gay and he was chosen as a head coach after Gay left in the year 1980.
- In the year 1984, he was titled Coach of the Year by Soccer America magazine.
- Then, UCLA won the 1985 NCAA Division I championship by defeating American University 1-0 after eight periods of overtime.
- In January 1993, he was selected as an assistant to Bora Milutinovic for the 1994 FIFA World Cup.
- He coached UCLA till 1999.
- Then, he joined MLS club Los Angeles Galaxy in 1999 and served as the club’s head coach till 2004.
- He also earned the MLS Coach of the Year Award.
- After that, he left Los Angeles Galaxy with an overall record of 79–53–32 with a 16–7–3 mark in the playoffs.
- In 2009, Sigi was named as the first coach of Seattle Sounders FC.
- In their 2009 inaugural season, Seattle defeated D.C. United to win the U.S. Open Cup.
- He left the club in the year 2016 and replaced by assistant coach Brian and then joined ESPN as a studio analyst.
- Again on 27th July 2017, he was announced as a new coach for LA Galaxy.
- After struggling in the 2018 season, he resigned from Galaxy on 10th September 2018 and was replaced by Dominic Kinnear.
Net Worth of Sigi
Sigi Schmid is a very successful person in his professional life. He has earned a big amount of money from his career and also he has gained a huge appreciation as a coach. His exact salary has not been revealed yet but there is no doubt in the mind of his follower that he is earning a considerable amount of salary from his work. His net worth has also not been disclosed yet but he definitely earns in six-figures. His expected net worth is over a million dollars. He is satisfied with his earning.
Affairs of Sigi
Sigi Schmid is a married person with his longtime relationship with Valerie Schmid. The couple is blessed with four children, three boys (Kurt, Erik, Kyle) and a girl (Lacey). The couple is living a happy life with their children and there is no sign of separation between them. They are enjoying their life a lot.